Friday, January 11, 2013

A Little Something for Myself

I'll admit it.  I am notorious among my friends and family for buying myself gifts right before Christmas. I can't help it!  This year, in an attempt to "help it" I decided to wait until after Christmas (December 27th to be exact) to order myself a few little things.



First, The Southern Foodie: 100 Places to Eat in The South Before You Die (and the Recipes That Made Them Famous) by Chris Chamberlain.  This book is mostly a restaurant guide, broken down by state, but also includes a recipe or two from each restaurant.  My favorite part is at the end of each restaurant description when Chamberlain lists the cuisine, atmosphere, specialties, and an insider tip for each location. I cannot wait to try some of these recipes, particularly the intimidating ones.  Blue Crab Cheesecake, anyone?  This book would be perfect for anyone who loves a good road trip.


Next, Bless Your Heart: Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time with recipes by Patsy Caldwell and stories by Amy Lyles Wilson.  This book is sorted by occasion (Church Potluck, Tailgating) and each is prefaced by a quick anecdote about a time when food saved the day at one such event.  The stories are a little too cutesy for me, but the recipes are the ones your mom would have given you, which is exactly what I needed.  There are the basics like Cherry Pie and Country-style Steak, but there are also some regional gems like Caramel Banana Pie and Hominy Casserole.  It will be really fun to make some of these recipes next time I attend a gathering in Wisconsin!


Finally, there is At My Grandmother's Knee: Recipes & Memories Handed Down by Women of the South by Faye Porter.  This book had me at the introduction, which was the author's beautiful memory of learning to cook from her grandmother.  One of my earliest memories is cooking with my maternal grandmother, who was a tremendous cook.  I remember her intimidating wood stove and huge cast iron skillets just as well as I remember her colorful expressions and wide array of clip-on earrings, kept organized in ice cube trays.  The recipes in this book are old-fashioned in the best possible way.  They include Raisin Pie and Fried Green Tomatoes.  Momma Doye's Banana Bread and Nannie's Eggplant Soufflé.  Each recipe truly comes from a cherished Southern grandmother, listing her name, location and some background. "Mama Doye always said that if you tasted the food while you were cooking, it made it that much sweeter."  C'mon, who's going to argue with Mama Doye?  Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment