Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cheddar, Pepper Jelly & Pecan Cheese Ball



As a Wisconsin girl, I know a thing or two about cheese.  It is definitely my favorite food and I've only met a handful of varieties I don't like.  I love the idea of a cheese ball.  They remind me of Christmas and anyone who knows me will tell you that cheese + Christmas = a very, very happy Apryl.  The fact that this cheese ball has a surprise filling makes it all the better.  I'd never heard of pepper jelly before reading this recipe, but I have seen it in many Southern recipes since then, which is great because I thought it was delicious.  If you enjoy a variety of textures (crunchy, creamy) and flavors (salty, spicy, nutty) you will love this.   Also, you can make it up to three days ahead of time, so it's perfect for parties or gifting.

Recipe adapted from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible 

2c shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3T cream cheese, room temperature (I used 4-5)
1c finely chopped pecan
1/2c mayonnaise
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/8t salt
1/8t pepper
1/4c red pepper jelly  (I used green; festive, but kind of weird)

1. In a food processor or with an electric mixer, blend half of the pecans with all of the remaining ingredients, minus the jelly. 
2. Scrape mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap, shape it into a ball, roll in plastic, and chill for 2 hours.
3. Unwrap the ball and cut it in half. Press a deep well into the bottom half and fill it with jelly. Top with the upper half and press the edges together to seal.  Roll the cheese ball in the other half of the pecans.  You can serve it immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment