Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Easy Chicken and Dumplin's


This dish is excellent, makes plenty for leftovers, and is even better the next day.  I'm not the biggest fan of canned soups, but sometimes they are the perfect thing for making a meal that tastes like it took hours and hours to prepare.  In Wisconsin, this would be the perfect meal for a cold winter night.  In North Carolina, it is perfect for... 44 degrees and rain?   I've struggled a little with matching my menu to my new climate.  In the middle of October, I was buying hot cocoa and rounding up some of my best chili recipes, only to be surprised by a beautiful autumn with many 70-75 degree days.  Now that January is here and temperatures fall around and below freezing at night, I can't wait to make all of the soups, stews, and chilis that I'm used to enjoying for almost half of the year.

This was my first attempt at chicken and dumplings and I am eager to make a more homemade version when I have time. I've also been introduced to something called "chicken and pastries" here though, and it is divine.  If I can find a good recipe, you can expect to see it very soon!


Recipe adapted from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible
Chicken and Gravy 
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1.5c whole milk
2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
1c frozen peas and carrots
1/4t grated nutmeg
salt and pepper
Dumplings
1c Bisquick (I used 1c flour + 1/2t baking powder + 1t salt + 1t vegetable oil instead!)
1/3c whole milk
pinch of paprika
parsley for garnish (I used green onion, but this is obviously optional) 

1. In a medium saucepan, combine soups and milk. Simmer over a medium-high head and use a whisk to smooth it out.  Stir in the chicken and simmer about 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Stir in vegetables and cook for another 3-5 minutes.  Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
2. To make the dumplings, stir together baking mix, milk, and paprika. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken. Do not stir!  Cook the dumplings, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.  Cover and cook 10 minutes longer, until dumplings are firm.  Serve hot, garnish as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment